Ouch! Your Silence Hurts Video Training Program
Do you ever stand by silently when you feel you should speak up? If so, your silence hurts.
Many people say they want to speak up when they see others stereotyped, disrespected, or demeaned. But they stand by silently because of discomfort or the fear of saying the wrong thing. They may turn away thinking “who am I to get involved, this isn't my business.” In fact, as a bystander, you ARE part of the conversation. You are the audience. Your silence allows the disrespectful behavior to continue. Your silence hurts.
Ouch! Your Silence Hurts challenges viewers by asking, "How will you personally respond next time you witness somebody being treated with disrespect?"
In the Ouch! video, you'll hear about the role of the silent bystander.... When you hear a disrespectful comment or joke, you have a choice:
Reinforce it by laughing or joining in. Tolerate it by saying nothing, which is what most people do. Or speak up and become an ally, the hardest thing of all. You may think that by saying nothing you’re making things better, or at least not making things worse. But sometimes silence is not golden. Your silence sends a message that you agree, or at the least you don’t object. Is that the message you want to send?
When we speak, we are afraid our words will not be heard or welcomed. But when we are silent, we are still afraid. So it is better to speak.
Audre Lorde, Poet and Activist
Silence remains, inescapably, a form of speech.
Ouch! Your Silence Hurts Learning Objectives:
- Understand the high cost of silent collusion.
- Explore the power of the bystander to make a difference.
- Inspire passive bystanders to use their voice as active allies
As Daniel Goleman writes, "saying nothing serves to condone it (bias)." Biased, stereotypical, or otherwise demeaning communication undermines morale, teamwork, and productivity. It can drive customers away, cause a public relations fiasco and worst of all, create a climate of distrust and pain in your organization. So, what can you do to speak up against stereotypes? Just say ... Ouch!
The Ouch! Your Silence Hurts program is available in these formats:
1. DVD or USB for your in-person training.
2. Online Streaming Video course with quiz. YSCORM 1.2 course that can be installed on your LMS or you can access it on SunShower's LMS. Licensing fees are based on the number of people to be trained and the duration of training. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for this option.